Animation Fundamentals: Project 3

10.11.2022 - 11.12.2022 (Week 11 - Week 15)
Chung Yi Ki / 0345014 / BDCM
Animation Fundamentals
Project 3: Emotion Animation / Final Project Teaser Animation with Film Studies and Cinematography module 


Lecture

Week 11 / Facial expression animation 

When animating facial expressions, squash and stretch can be applied in the breakdown drawings. Make use of arc as well in any turning motions. When changing between expressions, the eyes should be squinted as a breakdown drawing.

Instructions

This project is a continuation from project 2 and the continuation of the joint final project with Film Studies and Cinematography module. We were tasked to continue on finishing the animation for all the scenes selected for our Film Studies and Cinematography final project, and add facial expressions animation in our scenes where necessary. 

Visual references

Fig 1.1 Self-recorded angry, scared and passing out reference

Continuing from project 2, I have the proceeding 2 scenes (scene 3 and 4) from my animatic that I have not yet animated. So, since those scenes are heavy on facial expressions, I took a video of myself acting out parts of the scene as reference, the first one being looking more and more terrified as someone comes in, the second is getting angrier and angrier when punching, and the third one is slowly passing out while trying to keep awake. 

Fig 1.2 Scared expression reference
Source: https://www.animationmentor.com/blog/the-6-basic-emotions-animating-fear-with-keith-sintay/

Fig 1.3 Scared expression reference
Source: https://bardotbrush.com/how-to-draw-a-scared-expression/

Fig 1.4 Angry expression reference
Source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1196337395787746/

I also searched online for some additional image references for scared and angry expressions. 

Animation process

Fig 2.1 Revised animatic (changes to scene 3 and 4)

Fig 2.2 Onion skins and smear frames in certain part of scene 3 and 4 animation

Fig 2.3 First progression of first part of scene 3 
(shadow coming in and girl getting more and more terrified)

Fig 2.4 First progression of second part of scene 3
(vendor picking the girl up and punching her)

Fig 2.5 First progression of scene 4
(girl passing out and points a gun at the vendor)

I started my animating progress by using my animatic as a rough animation and then further edit and clean the animation by creating tie down drawing in Adobe Animate using the pen and line tool. I changed the first part of scene 3 from my animatic to show that the shadow is coming from the front instead of the side as I found out that it wouldn't make sense for the main harsh shadow to change direction if it's created from a singular light source, and even when there's a second light source there would need to be 2 visible harsh shadows. So, I made the changes to make it more simple but still give a clear message, the girl's head direction changes to looking at the front instead to the side as well. 

Other than that, I also made use of smear frames in certain inbetween drawings to give the movement a sense of speed. The scenes are animated in a combination of 2's and 3's according to the speed of the movements. Some inbetweens are animated on 1's and some frames are hold to last a few more frames for favoring and to give a more "weighty" feel like the foot stomping scene in the starting of Fig 2.4.

Further animation progress

Fig 3.1 Draft composition of all scene using current progress

Fig 3.2 Using favoring and inbetween on 2's for camera movement in scene 2

Fig 3.3 Onion skin of punch, with anticipation, favor and hold

Fig 3.4 Added inbetween frames for changing direction in scene 1 

Fig 3.5 Adjusting the hair movement to raise up in scene 1

Fig 3.6 Lighting compositing for first part of scene 3

Fig 3.7 Glass shattering effect for second part of scene 3

Fig 3.8 Animating the camera movement for scene 1

After receiving feedbacks from Mr. Kamal, I made some changes for certain scenes. I used favoring and timed one of the inbetween drawing for the camera movement change in scene 2 on 2's to make the movement smoother and less jerky. For the punching scene in scene 3, I favored more and added more hold in the landing punch to give the movement more clarity and rhythm. And for scene 1, I added more inbetween drawing when the girl changes direction in her run instead of using a smear frame like in Project 2. I also noticed that I animated the hair wrongly when the girl bends down in Project 2 since I originally animated it to move downwards with the body. So, I corrected it to move upwards when the body moves downward. 

After that, I erased the overlapping and excess lines in the animations and coloured some of them. I also composited the first part of scene 3 with background and lighting in After Effects and the glass shatter transition for the second part of scene 3 in After Effects to test out the effect. I followed this tutorial in using masking to light the character in After Effects and this tutorial and this tutorial in creating the glass shatter transition. Aside from using masking for the lighting, I also used a spotlight as a base light for the character, and colour corrected her to match the colour of the background. The camera movement for scene 1 was also done in After Effects by animating the position and scale of the layers in a 3D space. 

Further refinement of animation

Fig 4.1 Adjusting the hair movement to raise up in scene 4

Fig 4.2 Adjusting the spacing for the camera movement change in second part of scene 3

Fig 4.3 Changing the right leg bending direction in scene 1

Fig 4.4 Animating the drop of blood in scene 4

After receiving feedbacks from Mr. Kamal, I continued with colouring and refining the animation for the scenes. I corrected the hair movement in scene 4 as well like how I did for scene 1 in Fig 3.5. I also adjusted the spacing for the camera movement in the second part of scene 3 to make it more snappy and less jerky. In scene 1, I also changed the right leg bending direction from side to more frontal in one of the frames. For scene 4, since there's blood on the character, I decided to animate a drip of blood from the character's mouth to give it more life. I also looked through all the scenes and made sure the lines are smooth and not jagged/blocky (except for the girl's hair as it is part of her design), and made changes according to the feedbacks I received. Then, I put the animation with the background in After Effects and composited them with lighting using masking and colour corrections. 

Fig 4.5 Adding rain to scene 1

I also added raining animation in scene 1 and 2 using After Effects by following this tutorial to match with my animatic. After compositing everything, I brought all the scenes to Premiere Pro to edit and add sound effects. Further details on editing and compositing can be read in Film Studies and Cinematography project blog post.

Final teaser animation

Fig 5.1 Final teaser animation


Feedbacks

Week 13 
For the punching scene, can try favoring to create a snappy motion, where two close spacing drawings for anticipation and then smear and then punch. One close spacing drawing to favor for anticipating the punch, and then another close spacing drawing to favor for landing the punch. Overall, the animation for the scenes look a bit jerky, play with spacing. 


Week 14
Make sure that the lines are clean and smooth. Give a darker colour to the triangle part of the girl's shirt, like her shorts. The right knee should be more bent in the inbetween falling down scene 1. Colour wise looks good and the second scene is better. Put darker colour for the vendor in scene 1. Increase the brightness of the lighting in the first part of scene 3. The pink sketchy drawings in scene 3 can remain as is since it's significant to the story. 

Reflection

This project was really, really time consuming, but that is just the nature of animation, and also me wanting to try out in creating something that's currently out of my skill level has a part to play in this as well. But, truth be told, I still enjoyed making this animation even with all the frustrations and countless midnight oils I've burned. I really learnt a lot in the process of making this, especially with spacings and timings, and how to use favoring and smear frames. Although there are still some thing that I wished I could've changed and do better, but time is packed and I had to shift my focus in completing the bigger picture of this project. All in all, I'm really glad that I managed to get this done. Though I still favour keyframes animation (like in After Effects) over traditional frame-to-frame, but it is a great learning experience and would definitely help me in my future projects. 

Comments