3D Modeling: Project 1

3.10.2022 - 31.10.2022 (Week 6 - Week 10)
Chung Yi Ki / 0345014 / BDCM
3D Modeling
Project 1: Hard surface modeling


Lecture

Week 2-6 of lectures are documented in 3D Modeling: Exercises
Week 10 of lecture is documented in 3D Modeling: Project 2

Instructions

For this project, we are tasked to find reference images or blueprints of hard surface objects to model. The object can be either a vehicle, a weapon, a robot, or a machine. The final model should be applied the right material and texture, and should be rendered with lighting using Eevee rendering engine. 

Visual reference

Fig 1.1 Amban Sniper Rifle (Mandalorian rifle) blueprint

Fig 1.2 Additional image references

I chose to model a weapon and when looking through which kind of weapons I want to model, I decided to model the Amban Sniper Rifle in the Star Wars show "The Mandalorian" (a.k.a Mandalorian Rifle). I used the blueprint (Fig 1.1) as my main reference when modelling, the additional image references in Fig 1.2 are used to supplement the lacking perspective information or unclear area in the blueprint. 

Modeling process

Fig 2.1 Modeling the base shapes

Fig 2.2 Modeling the details (rifle body emblem)

Fig 2.3 Modeling the details (rifle body tubes)

Fig 2.4 Modeling the details (creating gaps)

I started with modeling the big base shapes first where cubes and cylinders are used. The rifle's body and the resonator (the tip of the rifle) were modeled using cubes, and all the other parts including the stock were modeled from cylinders. I mainly used loop rings and adjusting the vertices to model the shapes. After that, I moved on to modeling the details of the rifle. Gaps were made using the brush Boolean tool. All the mesh used to construct the body of the rifle were applied the bevel modifier to round the edges and give a bevel look. 

Fig 2.5 Using cube to model the stock

Fig 2.6 Modeling the trigger loop ring by insetting the face

Fig 2.7 Deleting the inset face

Fig 2.8 Modeling the trigger from a cylinder


I then found out the mesh of the stock wasn't well modeled as some wireframe edges were covered in the mesh, so I changed to using a cube to model the stock and it worked better and provided more control as well. For the trigger and its loop, I modeled both using cylinders and I created the hole in the loop by using inset. 

Fig 2.9 Separating the scope attachment handle from the barrel ring

Fig 2.10 Adjusting the scope handle to fit the scope

Fig 2.11 Modeling the rifle's body attachment

Fig 2.12 Top orthographic view of rifle with details added 

Fig 2.13 Bottom orthographic view of rifle with details added

Fig 2.14 Using flattened spheres for the scope lens

Fig 2.15 Applying stretch modifier to the knob on the rifle body

Fig 2.16 Applying solidify modifier to the trigger loop

For the scope attachment handle, I originally modeled it straight from the loop attachment ring thing that's attached to the rifle barrel, but since I found it hard to turn it around with the scope while still keeping both scope handles in place, I separated the handle from the loop attachment ring and adjusted the handle until it fits nicely to the scope. After that, I modeled the details on the top and bottom part of the rifle by following the blueprint. I then used two flattened spheres with a stretch modifier as the scope lens and used the same modifier on the knob on the rifle body as well. I also applied solidify modifier to the trigger loop to thicken it so it looks more sturdy. For the rifle's attachment point at the top of its main body, I used the brush Boolean tool to create the flat circle and plus sign indent. 

Assigning materials

Fig 3.1 Look of model with materials assigned

Fig 3.2 Separating the parts of the rifle body emblem to assign different materials

Fig 3.3 Details of materials used

After finishing with the modeling, I then assign the materials following the image references in Fig 1.2. For the emblem on the rifle body, since there's two parts where each have different materials, I had to separate them from the original single mesh to assign the correct materials to them. The parts where Boolean brush were used were assigned a darker colour than the main material as the shadow colour. 

Further adjustment of model

Fig 3.4 Adjusting the detail on the top part of the rifle

Fig 3.5 Video showcasing the final model

When looking back at the reference images, I noticed one part on the top part of the rifle should be inside the rifle body. So, I adjusted that part by creating deep indents using brush Boolean and moved the row of rectangular shapes lower into the rifle body. The row of rectangular shapes were also applied the stretch and bend modifier to create than thin and bent slanted look. All the meshes were shaded smooth with auto smooth enabled and adjusted. 

Scene composition
Fig 4.1 Viewport lighting and shadow settings

Fig 4.2 Setting gradient to the viewport background

Fig 4.3 Composing the model using golden ratio triangle guide

After that, I set the scene by adjusting the viewport lighting and shadow settings and applying a gradient colour to the world background of the viewport. I directly changed the viewport colour instead of using planes as I didn't want any shadows casting behind the model. Then, I used the golden ratio triangle guide to compose the shot by aligning the model to the intersection points. 

Fig 4.4 Viewport rendering outcome

Lighting and cycles rendering 

Fig 5.1 Lighting and world colour setup

Fig 5.1 First Cycles attempt

After learning about Eevee and Cycles rendering in week 10, I updated the viewport rendering outcome to render in Cycles. I used multiple point lights of different power to light up the model. 

Fig 5.2 Reworked lighting setup

After receiving feedbacks from Mr. Kamal, I changed the lighting setup using the three point lighting technique through area lights and spotlights. I added a little area light at a low power near the scope as I wanted a light to reflect the lens of the scope.  

Final hard surface modeling 

Fig 6.1 Final Amban Sniper Rifle modeling outcome (updated)


Feedbacks

Week 11
Add one lighting from front to show the details, try using spotlights. The main key light should show the main highlight of the object. One key light at about 45 degree at the front, another at the side to soften the shadow, and another at the back for rim light. The detailing is good. Also change the camera position to have more of a perspective view from the back.

Reflection

This project was fun to do, partly because I really like the rifle and the show where it came from, which kind of kept me motivated even when the detailing of the body sometimes make me loose patience hah. But I learnt a lot on how to model hard surface and how to use the tools in Blender through this project, it definitely helped me in getting more and more familiar with the operation of the software. Anyway, even though some parts aren't as accurate as the real thing, I'm really glad that I was able to model the rifle out and it mostly resembles the actual one. Also, a big thank you to Kamui Cosplay for creating the blueprint for the rifle and making it free to download!

Comments