Introduction to Creative Writing: Work Compilation

22.4.2024 - 26.7.2024 (Week 1 - Week 14)
Chung Yi Ki / 0345014 / BDCM
Introduction to Creative Writing
Assignment 1: Short Story
Assignment 2: Monologue
Assignment 3: Poetry Writing



A Greeting Letter 




Salutations fellow blog traveler! 

I'm Chung Yi Ki, 22 years old and currently a final year student studying Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media. I've always loved writing, the power that you can hold with just black and white words, to tell a story, to paint a picture in your readers' minds, it's like you can make any imagination into reality! Like reading, I think of it as a form of escapism from the cold, mundane reality that we are in. 

I've always loved to read and watch fictional works, from fantasy to sci-fi to teen dramas to mysteries and to a simple slice-of-life comedy. I think the kind of story that I write as well as my style reflects a lot on what media I'm currently consuming, such as my recent binge on the mystery genre might've somehow inspired my short story. Music is also one of my hobbies and I think that reflects a bit in my attempts to string a rhythmic or smooth flowing sentence. 

So, without further ado my weary traveler, please take your time in browsing through this succinct compilation of my Introduction to Creative Writing module works. I hope you find enjoyment as I did in writing them. 


With keyboards and .docx, 
Yi Ki 


[Back to Top] 

Assignment 1: Short Story

Assignment 1 is a short story writing task where the following 3 themes were given for us to choose (multiple choices were allowed):
  1. Tradition vs Change
  2. East vs West 
  3. Good vs Evil
For my short story, I've chosen to incorporate the nature of "Tradition vs Change" and "Good vs Evil". This short story, in essence, is about a detective uncovering the truth of a murder case in a seemingly supernatural town. 

Fig 1.1 Crimson Night - Short Story


[Back to Top] 

Assignment 2: Monologue

Assignment 2 is a monologue writing task where the following five prompts were given and we had to choose one out of them to include in our monologue. The monologue should be presented within 1.5 minutes - 2 minutes long as well. 

Prompts given: 
  1. They told me I can't, that's why I did!
  2. I haven't told anyone this before. But I am going to tell you now.
  3. Such dirty words from such a pretty little mouth!
  4. I never stood a chance, did I?
  5. What happens if I do this?
For my monologue, I've chosen the second prompt to expand on. This monologue details the emotion of an underprivileged wife and how she feels towards society and her abusive marriage. 

Fig 2.1 "I love him" - Monologue 


[Back to Top] 

Assignment 3: Poetry Writing

Assignment 3 is a poetry writing task where the following themes were given and we need to choose one of them to stick to in our poems: 
  1. Mortar and Pestle    
  2. Cock and Bull
  3. Rainbows and Unicorns    
  4. Fame and Fortune
  5. Goth and Gore
  6. Pride and Prejudice
  7. Sense and Sensibility
  8. Yin and Yang
A total of 6 poems needs to be written and they should all be a part of an anthology with connecting topics or elements. This tasks is a group work and I was in a group with Jasmine (Jia Min) and Sasilvia. We chose the fifth theme, Goth and Gore, in our anthology. My task in the group was to write the first poem, The Start of an End, and the third poem, Sonnet for the Seasons. The final work is a group effort where my group members helped me edit any parts that may not make sense or could be better. 


Fig 3.1 A Feather's Promise - An Anthology

Comments