Advanced Animation: Project 3

12.6.2022 - 3.7.2022 (Week 11 - Week 14)
Chung Yi Ki / 0345014 / BDCM
Advanced Animation
Project 3: Physical Action Sequence Animation


Lecture

Week 11 / Working in layers
Animation action planning can be worked in layers, that is, animating one part after the other. First part to work on is the hip and legs, the second part is the spine and head, and the third part is the arm. Master lower body first before working on anything else. 

Week 12 / Attaching props onto characters
  1. To attach props to characters, the object constraint property can be used:
  2. Move props into character's hand
  3. Select object and go to object constraint, select child off in the object constraint drop down, target should be the character and bone should be the wrist of the hand that's holding the prop
  4. Sometimes, the prop will go elsewhere when you parented it, but just move it back to the hand and it should be ok
  5. If you want to take props off of something, you can use influence to control the parenting
  6. If another hand is holding the object too, you need another child of


Tasks



For this project, we are tasked to create a 5-10 second physical action animation based on video references, while also including animation for the camera and facial expression. There should be different shot framings in the animation as well. We can use either the Snow or Rain character rig from Blender for our animation, and we are allowed to download any free 3D props and backgrounds to enhance our animation. Suitable lighting should also be included in the scene and rendered in 24fps with 1280px x 720px resolution. Final submission includes storyboards and a video compilation of progression from blocking, polishing to final. 

Visual references

Fig 1.1 Action reference video

Since I’m planning to use the character Snow for my animation, I thought a more hand-to-hand combat, or combat with a short weapon will be more suitable for his confident-looking and muscular design. As I was searching for video references, I couldn’t find a suitable hand-to-hand combat video, but I did found one (Fig 1.1) which uses daggers as weapons and has a full body jump turn. I thought that would be a nice challenge for me to try out, and also fits Snow, so I went with this video as my animation reference. 

Fig 1.2 Screenshots of key poses

Fig 1.3 Rough storyboard animatic of scene planning

I started by analyzing the key poses in the video using Premier Pro, labeling each pose as contact, passing, down, up or breakdown poses. The side view shown in the video was also referenced together with the front view when animating. Then, I then sketched out a rough storyboard animatic to plan out the camera framings and an additional intro I wanted to put. The intro acts like an anticipation scene to the action sequence. It shows Snow cracking his neck and throwing a knife in his hand to get ready, which then would cut to the action sequence. As for the reference for this intro, I referenced myself doing those actions in front of a mirror so that I’ll get a better understanding on what it feels like. 

Animation process 

Blocking and first pass of animation

Fig 1.4 Blocking the poses in Blender

Fig 1.5 Premiere Pro window for referencing while blocking, both side and front view

I first block out each of the poses in Blender according to my reference. As like previous projects, it was blocked out in 1s so that it’s easier to look over the keyframes and edit them. While blocking out the poses, I imported reference image in blender and also opened up premiere pro in another monitor so I can reference two angles (side and front view) easily while also going over the video in more detail while analysing the poses. 

Fig 1.6 Blocking animation

Fig 1.7 Timed animation from blocking (First pass)

Fig 1.8 Timed keyframes from blocking stage

After that, I spaced out the keyframes to add timings to each pose which I also referenced from the video. Though, I exaggerated the timing a bit at the jump part so that it would feel like a slow-motion kind of jump to hold the character pose a little longer for dramatic effect, and then quickly lands on the ground. 

Fig 1.9 First pass of animation with camera

Fig 1.9 Keyframes of camera

I also animated the camera to show how the action would look like in shot framings. To change camera angle, I keyframed the camera position at 1s so that it would cut from one angle to another angle immediately. 

Fig 1.10 Original model of combat knife
Source: https://blendswap.com/blend/26934

Fig 1.11 Edited blue light emitting material of knife

Fig 1.12 Video showing object constraint influence keyframe changes of knife throwing action

For the prop in the character's hand, I downloaded a free 3D modelled combat knife from a website called Blend Swap and parented it to the hand using the child of function in object constraint. Since I wanted to animate a knife throwing animation, I had to animate the influence of child of in a way that the knife will stay in the character's hand before the knife is thrown, and lands right in the character's hand when it falls. Thus, I needed to animate on 1s to make sure the influence value is only changing from 0 to 1 with no inbetweens. Other than that, I also edited the model of the knife a bit by giving it a glowing blue material to its blade so it's more noticeable in the animation. 

Second pass of animation 

Fig 2.1 Second pass of animation (with lighting and layout)

Fig 2.2 Second pass of animation with camera framings

After receiving feedback from Mr. Kamal, I went on to continue cleaning up the animation while also changing the poses of some body parts according to the feedback given. I changed the hand to already started closing when the knife lands on it, and also added some slight movement on the hips, chest, opposite arm and leg while the knife is thrown so that the character feels less rigid. Then, I added more hold when the character is up in mid air and when he lands on the ground. Because I wanted to show that the character is breathing heavily, I keyframed the rotation of the chest to show a breathing motion. I also took note of the hip shift in each pose so that it wouldn’t shift too much or too little. The camera speed at the ending scene is also increased to make sure the subject (character’s face) is in frame in every frame. 

Fig 2.3 All keyframes of all controllers

Fig 2.4 Curve and keyframes of hip

Fig 2.5 Curve and keyframes of left and right leg

Fig 2.6 Curve and keyframes of chest

As for the cleaning process, I removed any unnecessary keyframes in the graph editor and smooth out any uneven curves. I also used the graph editor to get some holds for some poses and some snappy motion by adjusting the handles. I also offset the keyframes for the arms and wrist controller by 2 keyframes to give some drag to the animation. Though at some instances, I had to clean the animation using more keyframes since using curves only resulted in some limbs deformed or not looking right, so some curve ended up not perfectly smooth. 

Fig 2.7 Keyframes of head

For the head, since I found out I had to animate everything at a continuous value (if the value is 300, I can't reset it to 0 and move the controller to the position I want since the animation will play the whole thing as rotating 3 times to the desired position), the neck would sometimes be over bended because of the head rotation. So, I changed the head controller from FK to IK and back at certain frames so that the head, and thus the neck, will follow the body and return to its normal look.

Fig 2.8 Keyframes of some facial controllers

After cleaning up the poses, I added in the facial expressions. The character looks determined at the start but towards the end when the character gets up, he changes to a cocky look as if he is satisfied with what has happened in the knife slash. A subtle change in the eye position from left to right act as an anticipation to that expression change. I used the pose library provided in the Snow character rig file for the expressions, and edited the controllers again to make it more fitting to the expression that I'm going for. 

Animation layout 

Fig 3.1 Full top angle view of lighting layout

Fig 3.2 Closer view of lighting layout

I then created a simple black studio backdrop as like my previous projects, and adjusted the lightings to suit the animation. I focused on a backlighting to give a more action film dramatic effect, and as the character moves forward, the key light will be brighter so that his face when he’s slashing his knife can be seen more clearly. There’s also a purple light at the ending scene to give some variation in the animation, and also as a way to add an additional interest to the story. The bright light at the side is used to add some visual interest in the scene. 

Further refinement of animation 

Fig 4.1 Third pass of animation

Fig 4.2 Keyframes and curves of torso

Fig 4.3 Keyframes and curves of chest

After receiving feedback from Mr. Kamal, I added more hold when the hand swings back after grabbing the knife and changed the moving hold to be led by the torso instead of the chest when the character lands on the ground. I keyframed the up and down position of the torso to give it a bit of springy motion, and only kept the chest rotation right when the character lands and when he is getting up, there are no keyframes in between those to avoid the motion looking awkward. Other than that, I also keyframed the toe roll to give some flexibility throughout the animation. 

Fig 4.5 Keyframes on 1s to fix some poses issues caused by cleaning up in curve

I also fixed some issues on the foot clipping into the ground when it rotates in the y-axis by reducing the x-axis rotation, and also fixed some issues of the leg getting too close to the body during in-betweens by adding more position keyframes. 

Fig 4.6 Camera framing of last shot

After that I adjusted the camera framing again so that the subject of a certain shot will always be in frame, and also position the character’s eye to be on the intersection point of the rule of third to get a better focal point in the composition. 

Further refine on animation layout 

Since Mr. Kamal suggested us to include a good background in our scene, I went to search for a suitable free 3d modeled environment. I wanted the scene to have a kind of an urban street but indoor look, and I finally found an underground garage environment model that fits the look that I’m going for. 

Fig 5.2 Appended environment Blender model rendering in Cycles

I appended the 3D environment model Blender file into my animation file, and then rendered the scene as is with all the lights visible in the background. Though I had to remove some graffiti on the walls because they weren’t showing up in my Blender window. 

Fig 5.3 Rendered animation with background lights

Fig 5.4 Rendered animation without background lights

Fig 5.5 Camera keyframes with ongoing depth of field value

But then I felt like the lights were too distracting, so I took them out and rendered again, which produces a cleaner background where the character is in focus more. I used Cycles to render so that the lighting will look better, and I also keyframed the focal length of the camera at different shots to give a depth of field to the background.

Fig 5.6 Lumetri colour settings in Premiere Pro

After that, I imported the rendered PNG sequence into Adobe Premiere Pro to do some colour correcting on the video, so that there is more contrast and have that urban look with bright lighting and high contrast. 

Fig 5.7 Compiling progressions in Premiere Pro

After finalising the final animation output, I compiled all my progression in Premiere Pro for submission.

Final Physical Action Sequence Animation


Fig 6.1 Storyboard and key poses compilation

Fig 6.2 Final Physical Action Sequence Animation


Feedback

Week 13
When the knife is thrown, move the hips and shoulders a bit, because when you move one part of your body, the other parts would move a bit as well. The hip should shift more at the end when snow is changing to final pose. The butt rotation can be reduced when he is getting up. The slow-mo when he's mid-air after the twist, it needs to be slower, probably more snappy curves (but given the camera angle, doesn't need to be slower). The hand should be already grabbing the knife when the knife lands in it. There should be more of a hold when the character is in its down recovery pose after the twist jump. When panning the camera, it's better to always show the character's head, or point of interest. 

Week 14
Position the character's eye on the right third of the rules of third composition and make sure the camera moves smoothly diagonally from the previous keyframe to the next. For the moving hold when the character lands, the chest movement makes it look weird. Keyframe the up and down position of the hips or torso instead of the chest. More hold after he grabs the knife when it falls down. Overall looks good.

Reflection

This project was fun for me to do although the timeframe is quite packed since other modules are also going into final projects. I think part of the fun is that I chose an action that I'm interested in animating, the other part is sometimes filled with frustration when I felt tired when animating, or when I can't solve a problem. But even then, I learnt a lot from my trials and errors and I've gotten more familiar with using Blender and character rigs to animate from this project. Attaching props to character is a new thing for me, and trying to think of a way to make the character let go of the prop but also grabs it after a while took some time, but it felt satisfying being able to figure out how. 

I think the most frustrating part is just making sure the poses are good based on the reference, and the cleaning up process where I had to have multiple keyframes at different timings which made the whole timeline a bit confusing to look at. But it still works in the end, I'll need to find a better way to organise my workflow. The most interesting thing about this project for me is when I included a background in the scene, which really brought the animation more to life. There are additional things that I want to try in this project, such as adding motion trails to the knives, but sadly time doesn't permit that since I have other modules and exam to worry about, so I just focused on making the animation polished, which I'm glad that I managed to complete it. 

Comments