Design Research Methodology: Assignment 4

23.6.2022 - 7.6.2022 (Week 13 - Week 15)
Chung Yi Ki / 0345014 / BDCM
Design Research Methodology
Assignment 4 / Research Reflection Report and Recorded Presentation 


Lecture


Instructions




For this assignment, we are tasked to write a reflection report about the positive experiences, challenges faced and justification for our decisions throughout our process of conducting our research. Other than that, we are also tasked with creating a presentation slide with maximum 20 slides about our research, including the proposal stage, critical review stage and data collection and analysis stage, and record a maximum 5 minute video presentation using it. 

Week 13

Fig 1.1 Draft contents to include in research presentation slides

Before creating my presentation slides, I written the contents I would want to include for my key literature and data collection and analysis section of my presentation in a word document as it would be easier for me to help me refresh on what I did for my critical review. I referred back to my submitted critical review to write down the summary and strengths of the top 3 articles I’ve chosen. 

Fig 1.2 Research presentation slides - Draft 1

After that, I included the suitable information in my presentation slides. The research theme, topic, problem, objective and questions are copied from my proposal slides. The content for the key findings part (which is the data collection and analysis part), are summarised from what I wrote in my primary research analysis slides submission. 

Week 14

Fig 2.1 Research presentation slides - Draft 2

I’ve written my script for my presentation to make sure that I stay within the 5 minutes time limit. As the first draft of the presentation slides will exceed 5 minutes, I cut some contents down in the key literature slides to keep within the time limit. 

Fig 2.2 Reflection report - Draft 1
(download the PDF file for the jump links to work)

Later, I wrote my reflection report according to my weekly progression sheet and my previous submissions. I focused the report on describing my reflection throughout each part of my research and included screenshots to illustrate some points that I’ve mentioned. My previous submissions are embedded in the report for the reader’s reference. For the reference list, I included all the references that I used in my research. I also included a table of contents page where each sections are listed down with jump links to that particular section.

Week 15

Fig 2.3 Reflection report - Draft 2
(download the PDF file for the jump links to work)

After receiving feedback from Dr. Hayati, I added page numbers on the table of content page of my reflection report for easy navigation besides having the jump links only. I also took out my reference list since I didn’t have any extra references in my reflection report. After that, I looked over my writing to check for any grammar and sentence structure mistakes. 

Fig 2.4 Adobe Premiere Pro editing timeline

As for the research presentation, I originally recorded my presentation in week 14 but re-recorded it in week 15 as I wanted my video to be at the side of the shared screen, which is the slides, so that the full slides can be seen in the video. The presentation is recorded using Zoom and some excess part, such as long pauses and parts where I started over during mid-recording, was edited out in Adobe Premiere Pro. 

Final Research Reflection Report and Recorded Presentation 

Fig 3.1 Final Research Reflection Report
(download the PDF file to use the jump links)

Fig 3.2 Final Presentation Slides

Fig 3.3 Final Recorded Presentation


Feedbacks

Week 13
General feedback: Remember to avoid using reverse white for your slides and avoid using the readily available slide templates in Google Slides.

Specific feedback:  Don't forget to write your reference slides in APA format and continue to write your script following the sequence of your slides. If there's any insufficient data, do continue to expand on your research in your coming semester holiday. For example, if you're planning to refine your questionnaire instrument based on your participants' feedback, you can treat your current research findings as pilot study and include the final study in your dissertation's methodology, if that's 
the case. 

Week 15
General feedback: The reflection report should point out the positive experiences, challenges faced throughout the research process and the justification about why this research was a success. Make sure the presentation video is within the 5 minutes time limit and audio is clear, share only the most remarkable data. Make sure the slides are very appealing (font choice etc.) and the design element reflects the topic of research. 

Specific feedback:  Don't need to amend the original submission due to the typing mistakes discovered, just describe it in text in the reflection report. It is not necessary to mention the amount of responses in the presentation, only need to mention the most important data. But it can be mentioned if time still permits. Hyperlinking the content page is ok, just that the concept of a content page is that there's page numbers. If you have used references to support statements in your reflection report, then you
need to include them in your reference list, if you didn't and the report is solely your reflection
on what you have done, then you don't need to have a reference list since you have embedded the original submissions in the report.


Reflection

For the research presentation, creating the slides for my research presentation isn’t as time consuming as my assignment 3 data collection slides of course, the challenge for me would be figuring out how to organize the contents in slides. As I’m using back the slide template I created in assignment 1, I had to change some designs of it for some slides so that it’d be fitting for the type of content they have. The challenging part for it would be deciding which information is crucial to be added in and trying to keep the presentation within the 5 minute time limit. Although I wish that I could talk a bit more on my key literature sections, discussing about my primary research findings is more important so I made more time for that. 

As for the reflection report, reflecting on what I’ve done throughout these 14 weeks of course took some time even though I did some documentation on my weekly progress reflection sheet. The challenging part would be ensuring that I’ve been critical about my reflection in my report. But one thing I'm glad is that the documentation of my past progress were detailed and I've kept all the documents I've used, so it was easier for me to write my report and create my presentation slides. Plus, writing the reflection report also helped me noticed on the issues and mistakes that I've overlooked in my past submissions, which would act as a reminder for me to do better in my future research works. 

Overall,  in my opinion, I think that my research has been successful for this module as I was able to answer the research questions I’ve proposed in my research proposal. It can be stronger if the gaps are further minimised but I think the data collected are valid and would be helpful for my future studies. 

Comments