Illustration and Visual Narrative : Exercises

26/8/2021 - 16/9/2021 (Week 1 - Week  4)
Chung Yi Ki / 0345014 / BDCM
Illustration and Visual Narrative 
Task 1 / Exercises


LECTURE

Week 1 / Introduction & Briefing 

This week was an introductory week to the module. We met up with Miss Anis and Miss Jennifer and were given a module briefing by Miss Anis. We were briefed on the exercises and projects we needed to do throughout the module, which consists of the Vormator Challange, minimalist poster design, creating a Webtoon graphic novel and animating it. We were then tasked with our first exercise for this week, as well as creating a blog link and google drive folder. 

Week 2 / Introduction to Character Design 

Stylization is crucial in character design as it is what sets the design apart from others. 

Principle of character design
1. Shapes 
Use shapes to build a character. Shapes are what determine the character’s silhouette and a clear silhouette is what makes a character design iconic and appealing.

Fig 1.1 Shapes can also be used to indicate a character's personality
Source: https://yamino.tumblr.com/post/78459281321/ive-been-trawling-the-internet-for-character

2. Colours 
Colours can evoke emotions and thus, it can be used to give an impression on a character and determine whether a character is the protagonist or the antagonist.

Fig 1.1 Colour psychology
Source: https://uxplanet.org/ux-design-colour-psychology-theory-accessibility-40c095cc1077


3. Emphasis and contrast
Putting emphasis on a certain visual element through exaggeration will make a character (or a group of characters) more iconic and memorable 

Fig 1.2 Exaggeration of scale
(Mike smaller and had big eyes while Sully is larger and has small eyes)
Source: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0198781/mediaviewer/rm2785401856

4. Harmony
Visual hierarchy is important in creating harmony. Every elements used in a character design must fit together and complement each other.  Good colour theory is one way to achieve harmony. 

5. Expression / Poses 
The character must be able to express themselves through facial expressions and poses as it is how they communicate with the audience.

Week 3 / Visual Techniques: Composition (1)

Composition
Composition is all about establishing visual hierarchy through positioning of elements in the frame and the use of positive and negative space. 

Types of shots/composition 

Composition rule no.1

Negative and postive space 
  • Find a balance of positives and negatives 
  • Audience should know what is the focal point of the composition at first at the first look 
Other aspects to focus on are setting the scene and mood of the composition and add rhythm or movement to it.

Week 4 / Visual Techniques: Composition (2)

Perspective
Perspective is essential in composition as it makes the narrative in the work immersive. It is used to create a sense of depth and a 3D illusion on a 2D surface. Effective use of the 3 planes (foreground, mid-ground, background) and perspective is able to create a very immersive artwork. 

Types of perspective 

Fig 1.4 Different types of perspective with
different numbers of vanishing points
Source: https://www.sketchlikeanarchitect.com/blog/what-type-of-perspective-should-you-choose

Parallax effect 
Instead of using vanishing points, parallax effect uses layers to create a sense of depth. 

Fig 1.5 Parallax background animation
Source: https://dribbble.com/shots/8164583-Parallax-Effect


INSTRUCTIONS

Task 1: Exercises


Exercise 1: Vormator Challenge


Fig 1 Vormator Shapes








Idea Development 

Sketches

Fig 1.1 First character sketch (2/9/2021)

Fig 1.2 Second character sketch (2/9/2021)

I started with my first character design idea I had and used the Vormator shapes when sketching him out. My idea was to create an anthropomorphic animal-like creature set in a fantasy period. So, I had a lion/raccoon face shape idea in mind and a pair of big ears, as well as armour and a magical staff to complete the look. 

For my second character sketch, I started with the idea of how "the badge" can be used to create a robotic arm like shape. I then thought of using that to merge with a more organic-looking form which led to the idea of a floating biotechnological looking monster. It is a 3-headed monster each with its own personality and power transmitters on each of their back with leads to the main power source in the sphere body. 


Fig 1.3 Digital sketches and clean up of first character 
design (above) and second character design (below) (2/9/2021)

After that, I traced the Vormator shapes digitally and put them together to see if they'll work for my character ideas. Since I find the second character design to look weird and Ms. Anis and Ms. Jennifer liked the first character design as it fits to be a character, I decided to choose my first idea to develop for the final vector illustration. 

Digitization of sketch in Illustrator
Fig 2.1 Digitization of sketch (Flat colours) (9/9/2021)


Fig 2.2 First try of applying gradient (9/9/2021)

Fig 2.3 Second try of applying gradient (9/9/2021)

When digitizing in illustrator, I traced out each of the Vormator shapes and placed them according to the sketch, and with some adjustments made where needed. I changed how the Chevron is used on the armour with the help of the shape builder tool, and also added two Wursts on each hand to complete the armour look. I then plan out the base colours with the colour scheme I had in my mind and tried out using the gradient tool to create some shadows. 

Final Vormator challenge character design

Fig 2.4 Final character vector illustration (23/9/2021)

Fig 2.5 Final character vector illustration - PDF (23/9/2021) 

After receiving feedback from Ms. Anis and Ms. Jennifer in week 3, I went to make some changes on the colours and gradient. I made the Drop on the staff and the middle part of the chest armour from blue to red to symbolize fire. I added gradient to the hands and legs so the overall colour scheme would look more coherent. 

Character story
In a land of dragons, elves and other fantastical creatures, there exist a tribe of protectors who looks after a sacred forest. Those who saw them said they look like lions, fierce and strong. Others oppose saying they look like bears because of their stocky build. Rogthl here is the Elder of the tribe. He may be grouchy and commanding but he trains the the next generation of protectors with great skills and knowledge. Though he does not enter the battlefield now, his fighting spirit still burns brightly and his decades-old armour still shines with great pride. An ancient staff now holds the place where his sword once was, with a floating gemstone at the top which could be presumed to hold the secret of the tribe. 

Exercise 2: Vector Illustration

Idea development

References and inspirations

Fig 1.2 Card layout reference (23/9/2021)
Source: http://www.evenbothun.no/card-game-design/

To match with my character's story, I wanted to create a fantasy theme game card layout design with stated characters attributes.  As I was searching for references, I found these two game card designs with an interesting layout concept. So I wanted to apply the same idea in my design. 

Fig 1.3 Coven symbols from The Owl House (23/9/2021)
Source: https://theowlhouse.fandom.com/wiki/Coven_System

I also wanted to imply in my game card design that the game follows the fantasy RPG character classes mechanic, where these classes determine the character's attribute. So I wanted to create symbols for each classes I have in mind: Fighter, Magic, Royalty,  Alchemy, Ranger, Bard. I wanted the symbols to look simple and flat, and this reminds me of the coven symbols from an animated show called "The Owl House", which I used as my inspiration. 

Sketches

Fig 2.1 Card layout rough sketch (Back) (23/9/2021)

Fig 2.2 Card layout rough sketch (Front) (23/9/2021)

I started roughly sketching out the layout design I want. I planned on having a forest background for my character to match his story. The attributes I first given for him were "fire" and "forest" in Fig 2.2, which I later on changed as I planned out the character classes I wanted to include in Fig 2.1. 

Digitization of card layout

Fig 3.1 Card layout front (left) and back (right) with test background

I changed some parts of the layout from the sketches because I found the layout in the sketch was too cramped up and the character wasn't emphasised enough. I used black strokes on the scroll elements at the front of the card so the form can be clearly seen. Other than that, I made a test background in the card layout to test out the concept and to determine the colour scheme later on. I planned on making a night time forest background as blue would contrast better with the yellow and brown colours of the character.

For the symbols, they are arranged in this order (from left to right, top to bottom): Fighter, Magic, Royalty,  Alchemy, Ranger, Bard. I used a more abstract symbol for Magic because I wanted to use the spiral to show the smooth flowy nature of magic. The circle is to reference how most magic glyphs are drawn with a circle and the sparkle is to show the amazement of magic. 

Background

Fig 4.2 Rough background digital sketch (23/9/2021)

I wanted to use a parallax effect to create a sense of depth in my background. I came across the reference image above (Fig 4.1) while I was searching on the Internet and I thought it's a good reference for my background design. 

Fig 4.3 Workspace in Illustrator with colour palette and colour palette reference used
Source of colour palette reference: http://paperheartdesign.com/blog/color-palette-forest-floor (top)
https://icolorpalette.com/palette-by-themes/forest/page/16 (bottom) (23/9/2021)
 

Fig 4.4 Background design with planned colour palette used (23/9/2021)

Fig 4.5 Background design with darker colours
Recoloured using the recolour artwork tool (23/9/2021)

I added some glowing elements at the back to set a fantasy mood to the background and I also used texture so it wouldn't look too plain. I recoloured the background later on to have a darker colour so the night time atmosphere is more clearly shown.

Fig 4.6 Second attempt of card layout design (front) (23/9/2021)

Fig 4.7 Second attempt of card layout design (back) (23/9/2021)

I also added an old paper texture to the scroll elements and a scratch texture to the grey text field so it'll look like smoothed stone. I removed the stroke for the two character class scrolls in Fig 3.6 and added a drop shadow effect instead. Other than that, I used the blend tool on the sword and the shield to give some shading to them. 

Final game card layout design

Fig 5.1 Final game card layout design (front) (24/9/2021)

Fig 5.2 Final game card layout design (back) (24/9/2021)

Fig 5.3 Final game card layout design front (left) and back (right) - PDF (24/9/2021)

After receiving feedbacks from Ms. Anis and Ms. Jennifer, I did some correction and adjustments on the game card design. I made the white "hard shadow" behind the word "Attack" more apparent and I also added a blurred gradient on top of the word so the black colour would contrast on the lighter background. I changed the "Fighter & Magic Bonus" sentence from red to black and changed the black stroke of the scroll to dark brown. I also added 6 rays of light burst effect behind the sword and shield at the back of the card using the gradient tool. Along with that, I added a faint gradient on the shield so it would look like its shining. I also placed two of the blurred gradient on the top left and bottom right corner at the back of the card so the colour scheme on both sides would tie in together. 

FEEDBACK

Week 2 
Develop the first character idea as the character because it has expressions and the overall design is more appealing. 

Week 3
The first gradient tryout has a good look in the subtle change of colours. Try putting a symbol on the armour of the character or change the blue Drop to red, or any colour that can contrast with the character's main colour scheme.

Week 5
The typeface used for "Attack" looses readability when it's not over a plain background. Think of an adjustment for the background behind the word so it's more clearly seen. Change the stroke colour of the scrolls to dark brown so it'll tie in together with the game card design. Change the red sentence to black so it'll be more readable. Add some sort of light burst/gradient burst behind the shield to fill up the empty spaces. 

REFLECTIONS

Experience 
This was an enjoyable exercise to do but it does come with its challenge. I had fun figuring out how to use the Vormator shapes to create a character and come up with a backstory for it. Creating the game card was fun too especially when I’m figuring out the design for the 6 character classes symbols. I always admired how these 2D flat symbols are often formed from simple geometric shapes but are able to convey its subject in a detailed pictorial way, so it was interesting to study then and learn how to use the same technique for my idea. Creating the background was the challenging part for me. As I rarely do background drawings, figuring out a scenic background for my character that will also work with the card layout design has its difficulty. But after a number of throw-away sketches and looking at background references, I eventually came up with an idea on the background I wanted. 

Observation
When I look at the work of my peers, I realized that there are actually a lot of creative ways in using the Vormator shapes to create a character. A lot of new shapes can be formed from the 8 given shapes if you don’t restrict yourself when experimenting with it. 

Findings
I found that colour theory is essential in creating illustration. If the chosen colours doesn't match together well, it might make the final result end up either looking flat or hard to discern, so creating a contrast is important. It’s also good to test out creating contrast with different hue of colours rather than just sticking to one hue of colour with different brightness (the latter one often times would result in a muted colour palette). Other than that, I also found that Adobe Illustrator is very useful in creating illustrations. It is difficult to learn and get used to but it gets better with practice. 


FURTHER READINGS

Ms. Anis shared some notes on composition and perspective for us to read so we'll have a better understanding on them. These are the notes I've taken on the topics that caught my attention:

Composition notes
Fig 1.1 "Six Composition" written by Jazza from 21 Draw Illustrator's Guidebook

Rule of thirds 
Align the subject on the intersection points of the grid or along the horizontal and vertical lines. Primary focus should be at the top left intersection of the grid and secondary focus should be at the bottom right intersection of the grid.

Fig 1.2 Example use of rule of thirds (pg 148)

Creating environment art
A good use of foreground, midground and background can communicate a sense of scale and depth between the characters and environment in the scene. 

Fig 1.3 Different way of creating overlaps in landscape design (pg136)

Contrast and detail
A good use of contrast can direct the viewers' eye to the focal point. Focus on putting details on the areas you want the viewers to focus on, too much details in an artwork can cause chaos and lack of focal point 

Symmetry and asymmetry
Symmetrical composition often communicates a static and predictable scene. Asymmetrical composition would create a sense of drama in a scene

Perspective notes

Fig 2.1 "What is perspective?" written by Jazza from 21 Draw Illustrator's Guidebook 

2-point perspective
In 2-point perspective, match the corners of the building or structure at the intersection point of the grid lines (lines emerged from the 2 vanishing points).

3-point perspective
When drawing 3 points perspective, it's good to use blocks as guides in planning out the position of the characters so it'll be easier to fill in the characters later on. 

Fig 2.1 Example use of guiding boxes/blocks in 3-point perspective (pg118)

Dynamic scenes
In some scenes to create dyanamism, perspective rules doesn't need to be followed stritctly. For example in Fig 2.2, there are two different horizontal lines and the perspective lines of the ground are curved. 

Fig 2.2 Example of dynamic application of perspective (pg119)

Isometric view
When designing individual building, it's better to use isometric view as it shows 3 sides of the building structure clearing without perspective distortion.

Fig 2.3 Example of isometric drawing using the isometric grid (pg133)

Comments